Imma Miralpeix is a lecturer and researcher at the University of Barcelona (English Studies Department). She is member of the GRAL group and has taken part in several funded projects on Second Language Learning and Teaching. She has also conducted research in Swansea University (UK) with the Vocabulary Acquisition Research Group and is member of Lognostics. Her current teaching involves undergraduate courses in Linguistics in the B.A. in English Studies, as well as postgraduate courses in the Master's program in Applied Linguistics and SLA in Multilingual Settings. She supervises MA and PhD theses and is also Faculty tutor of students in the UB Internship Program in institutions and enterprises.
Second language vocabulary acquisition
Lexical development and assessment
Some representative publications and presentations at conferences
- Meara, P. M. & Miralpeix, I. 2017. Tools for researching vocabulary. Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Miralpeix, I. & Meara, P. M. 2014. The written word. In J. Milton & T. Fitzpatrick (Eds.). Dimensions of vocabulary knowledge. Palgrave: Macmillan.
- Miralpeix, I. 2011. Age effects on second language acquisition: Critical issues under debate. Language Teaching 44(1), 122-132.
- Miralpeix, I. 2007. Lexical knowledge in instructed language learning: The effects of age and exposure. International Journal of English Studies 7(2), 61-84.
- Navés, T.; Miralpeix, I. & Celaya, M.L. 2005. Who transfers more? And what? Crosslinguistic influence in relation to school grade and language dominance in EFL. International Journal of Multilingualism 2(2), 113-134.
- Miralpeix, I.; Zaytseva, V. & Pérez-Vidal, C. 2016. Is vocabulary a winner after study abroad? An examination of oral and written data from the SALA Project. Study Abroad Research in European Perspective. COST Action Conference. Vilnius, Lithuania.
- Fullana, N. & Miralpeix, I. 2013. Learning trajectories in an instructed setting: A longitudinal study. SLRF (Second Language Research Forum). Provo (Utah), USA.
- Miralpeix, I. 2012. X_Lex and Y_Lex: A validation study. 22nd Lexical Studies Conference. Newtown, UK.
- Miralpeix, I. 2008. The Influence of age on vocabulary acquisition in EFL: Estimating vocabulary size. AAAL Annual Conference (American Association for Applied Linguistics). Washington, USA.
- Miralpeix, I. & Navés, T. 2003. The Influence of language dominance and language proficiency on L3 writing performance. 3rd International Conference on Language Acquisition and Trilingualism. Tralee, Ireland.